Posted: 08/22/13 (revised 08/23/13; 11/06/13)
Position No(s). 57857 (Business Analsyt V)
LOCATION: Position may be located at one of HHSC facilities on the islands of Oahu, Maui, Kauai, Hawaii (Big Island
SALARY: $4,447 (SR24C)
A. Systems Analysis and Implementation 60%
1. Primary responsibility is to work with all HHSC facility revenue management departments to analyze, develop and implement computer-based workflow processes in all areas of the hospital revenue cycle with the goal of maximizing accuracy and efficiency.
2. Ability to apply state and federal laws and regulations for Medicare, Medicaid, Contract Payors and commercial insurance for both acute care and long-term care facilities and incorporate these changes into the new EMR financial system.
3. Stays informed of state and federal insurance laws and regulations; and the various appeals processes including, but not limited to, Insurance Commission filings. Review current EMR financial system and recommends process and/or workflow changes to try to automate new regulations.
4. Maintains complete and accurate enterprise side revenue cycle (billing) Policies and Procedures. Reviews current EMR financial system, recommends and incorporates processes and/or workflow changes to automate procedures.
5. Reviews current enterprise wide revenue cycle (billing) policies and procedures and revises, as appropriate and incorporates them into the EMR financial system when applicable.
6. Coordinates and delivers enterprise revenue cycle (billing) education programs targeting the enhancement of staff development and knowledge.
7. Reviews enterprise ongoing billing, collection and correspondence performance related to insurance and self pay balances and recommends process improvements in the EMR financial system.
8. Assists in developing training materials and coordinates training of user’s enterprise wide on revenue cycle (billing) policies and procedures.
9. Reviews CMS and State Revenue Cycle and billing Changes, Policies and Procedures and recommends best practices in implementing these changes in the financial applications.
10. Works closely with the Senior Revenue Cycle Analyst in the implementation and maintenance of the revenue cycle for the EMR.
B. User and management liaison 15%
1. Ability to learn new software updates with minimal training.
2. Identify and make recommendations to resolve system issues impacting the accurate and timely processing of charges, billing, payments and/or collections.
3. Assist in the planning and implementation of I.S. policies and procedures to meet The Joint Commission standards.
C. Reports 15%
1. Develops management reports as needed to identify and assess areas in revenue cycle and billing processes that are in need of improvement.
2. Develops on demand Adhoc reports requested by management to monitor the financial system.
D. Other duties as assigned 10%
Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university. Excess work experience of the type and quality described below or progressively responsible professional work experience which provided knowledges, skills and abilities equivalent to those normally acquired in four (4) of successful study leading to a bachelor’s degree may be substituted for education on a year-for-year basis.
Specialized Experience: Four (4) years of progressively responsible professional work experience which has demonstrated general knowledge of public and private health care programs including billing, credit, collection and account maintenance activities of a healthcare institution. This experience must have provided familiarity with, and knowledge of health insurance programs; general financial practices of healthcare providers; and the ability to evaluate the bases of medical rates and costs.
Selective Certification: In order to effectively perform these duties and responsibilities, applicants are required to travel between all HHSC facilities for extended periods as defined by the EMR project schedule. Project responsibilities are subject to long hours and irregular schedules. Applicants must be able to work in a variety of environments and adapt to an array of physical surroundings. Therefore, applicants who are willing and able to travel extensively between all HHSC facilities as required to implement the EMR project.
Substitutions Allowed: Possession of a master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Healthcare administration or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of Specialized Experience.
DESIRED SKILLS: Education preferred - a bachelor’s degree in computer science or management information systems from an accredited college or university.
Experience preferred – Specialized experience in implementation of computerized billing and reimbursement requirements for a healthcare or healthcare support facility.
Experience preferred includes experience and basic knowledge in the following applications:
1. Healthcare software – Patient Access, Patient Accounting and Billing, Reimbursement and Contract Management, Medicare DDE.
2. General support applications – Microsoft Office, various report writers such as Crystal or Access.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The position will require extensive travel and will be involved in the new Electronic Medical Record Implementation (EMR). This position may require spending several months at a neighboring island during the design and build of the new EMR system.
HOW TO APPLY: If you are interested in this position, just click on the link "APPLY NOW". You will be prompted to create your online account or access to your existing account.
Applications are also available at the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation, Human Resources Office, 3675 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816. You can call (808) 733-4162, (Voice/TT), Toll Free (800) 845-6733, e-mail: email@example.com or visit our website at www.hhsc.org. Application hours are: 08:00 am – 12:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the Corporate Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Possession of the required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for the position. Overall paid or unpaid experience must have been of such scope and responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate that you have the ability to perform the duties of this position. Provide a detailed description of your duties and responsibilities. If you worked on a part-time basis, indicate the average number of hours worked per week. Please note that experience will be based on a 40-hour workweek. Note: We will not postpone the recruitment process because of your failure to provide accurate and complete information concerning your qualifications.
MERIT OR CIVIL SERVICE SYSTEM: You must meet the minimum qualification requirements, including education, experience, other public employment requirements for State Civil Service employment, and HHSC Standards of Fitness. Only those applicants that are scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager will be contacted. Applications will be kept active for six (6) months.
CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and at the time of appointment intend to reside in the State of Hawaii during the course of employment with the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation.
VETERAN’S PREFERENCE: If you are claiming Veteran’s Preference, you must submit a copy of your DD214 and/or other substantiating documents specifying the periods of your service.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be able to physically and mentally perform efficiently the duties of the position. Qualified applicants with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the advertised position are encouraged to apply. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is committed to making reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodation should be ready to discuss the accommodation sought so that a determination can be made that such accommodation is reasonable and would not cause the employer undue hardship.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENT: Offers of employment will be conditioned on the results of a complete physical examination, which includes a drug screening. For certain job categories, applicants may be referred to an HHSC-designated physician, rather than the applicant’s personal physician of choice. The cost for all physical examinations, except the cost for the drug screening, shall be borne by the applicant and not the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation shall bear the cost of the drug screening.
CRIMINAL/BACKGROUND, CREDENTIALING: CHECKS: Applicable checks will be conducted periodically and any associated costs may be borne by the applicant. If a job offer is made or employment is begun prior to completion of all applicable checks, any offer of employment or continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory return of all required checks.
STEPS TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW, SUBSEQUENT APPEALS: If you do not agree with a decision made by the Employment Office as to your non-qualification or non-selection for a position, you may complete a Request for Administrative Review form (available on the HHSC website) or you may submit a written request within twenty (20) days from the date of your sent notice to the Regional Chief Executive Officer/Designee. Your letter requesting the Administrative Review must include 1. The job title(s) and recruitment number(s), 2. the specific reason(s) you are requesting the review noting if there is a statute or rule violation, and 3. any additional information you want to submit to substantiate your request. If you do not submit your request within the twenty (20) days deadline, no Administrative Review will be conducted. Since the Administrative Review is a prerequisite to subsequent steps, failure to utilize this process will make you ineligible for subsequent appeals. The administrative review, formal complaint and/or appeals hearing will not necessarily postpone the recruitment process and/or rescind a selection. If you do not agree with the Administrative Review, you may file a Formal Complaint and then, if you are still not satisfied, you can appeal to the HHSC Merit Appeals Board.
The Corporate office of the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is located at Leahi Hospital, 3675 Kilauea Avenue Honolulu, HI 96816.
For additional information, call (808) 733-4162 or Toll-free (800) 845-6733 (TTD/TTY) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES MAY CONTACT THE RECRUITMENT OFFICER AT (808) 733-4162 (TTD/TTY), OR Toll-free (800) 845-6733, OR EMAIL email@example.com TO DISCUSS SPECIAL NEEDS IN APPLYING.