POSITION NO: 103493
DATE POSTED: 02/26/2014
LOCATION: Hawaii Health Systems Corporation (HHSC), Honolulu, Hawaii
The Office of Human Resources, Hawaii Health Systems Corporation (HHSC) provides personnel and human resource services to the board of directors, corporate management, and hospital management.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES 85%
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the overall system-wide level human resources services/functions of the Corporation and its facilities, including policies and programs covering employment, compensation, classification, benefits, training, employee relations, labor relations, recruiting and retention, employee records/transactions, workers’ compensation and compliance with all applicable state, federal, and local laws.
The essential duties and responsibilities of the position includes:
- Plan, develop, organize, coordinate, implement, and evaluate the overall corporation’s human resources responsibilities, functions, programs and performance to manage the one personnel jurisdiction for HHSC;
- Works with and assists Regional Human Resource Directors on major projects, initiatives and coordinates/facilitates regular HR meetings.
- Coordinate various projects, tasks, and programs with the executive management team, corporate and regional human resources offices;
- Participate in the development of the corporation’s plans and programs as a strategic partner as it relates to human resources;
- Evaluate and advise on the impact of strategies, programs, and regulatory actions as it relates/impacts the attraction, motivation, development and retention of the people resources of the corporation;
- Develop appropriate policies and programs in compliance with applicable state, federal, and local laws;
- The Director of Human Resources is a member of the Corporate Office executive management team, and assists with strategic development and organizational planning. This position is responsible for the corporate wide development, coordination, and implementation of the strategic human resources initiatives;
- Represents the Corporation/Board as the “public employer” in labor negotiations and related jurisdictional responsibilities;
- Serves as a management representative on the HHSC Board Personnel & Compensation Committee;
- Serves as a member of the Conference of Personnel Directors with the State’s executive branch, Counties, and other public employers;
- Work with the respective labor unions on labor-related initiatives; Provides advice and knowledge to others within the human resources discipline;
- Provides legislative testimony as needed;
- Maintain current knowledge and understanding of regulations, industry trends, current practices, new developments, and applicable related laws.
Other Duties 15%
- Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirement: Graduation from an accredited university or college (bachelor's degree).
Specialized Experience: Atleast five (5) to ten (10) years of broad-based Human Resources (HR) experience, of which six (6) years must be at the management level. Employment and labor relations experience required.
Certification: None required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to provide leadership and guidance; strong oral and written communication skills; strong process orientation; detail-oriented, and methodological approach to problem solving; ability to interface and maintain effective relationships with all departments, unions, and employees in a team-oriented environment.
Work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Note: Exceptions may be granted as deemed appropriate in determining qualifications.
To apply for this position, please submit an on-line application by clicking on the APPLY NOW
link and also indicate your SALARY REQUIREMENT
and CONTACT INFORMATION FOR 3 WORK REFERENCES. Please submit your resume to email@example.com
HOW TO APPLY
: If you are interested in this position, just click on the link "APPLY NOW". You will be prompted to create your online account or access to your existing account. Also you can submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are also available at the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation, Human Resources Office, 3675 Kilauea Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816. You can call (808) 733-4162, (Voice/TT), Toll Free (800) 845-6733, e-mail: email@example.com
or visit our website at www.hhsc.org. Application hours are: 08:00 am – 12:00 pm at which time applicants are able to complete an application and have their application reviewed by the Corporate Human Resources Office. Only applicants that have been through a Human Resources (HR) applicant screening process will be considered for an interview with a hiring manager. Applications for announcements with a deadline date must be on file no later than the last day to file applications.
QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Possession of the required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification for the position. Overall paid or unpaid experience must have been of such scope and responsibility as to conclusively demonstrate that you have the ability to perform the duties of this position. Provide a detailed description of your duties and responsibilities. If you worked on a part-time basis, indicate the average number of hours worked per week. Please note that experience will be based on a 40-hour workweek. Note: We will not postpone the recruitment process because of your failure to provide accurate and complete information concerning your qualifications.
MERIT OR CIVIL SERVICE SYSTEM: You must meet the minimum qualification requirements, including education, experience, other public employment requirements for State Civil Service employment, and HHSC Standards of Fitness. Only those applicants that are scheduled for an interview with the hiring manager will be contacted. Applications will be kept active for six (6) months.
CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT: Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S. and at the time of appointment intend to reside in the State of Hawaii during the course of employment with the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation.
VETERAN'S PREFERENCE: If you are claiming Veteran’s Preference, you must submit a copy of your DD214 and/or other substantiating documents specifying the periods of your service.
PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be able to physically and mentally perform efficiently the duties of the position. Qualified applicants with disabilities who can perform the essential functions of the advertised position are encouraged to apply. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is committed to making reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis. Applicants seeking reasonable accommodation should be ready to discuss the accommodation sought so that a determination can be made that such accommodation is reasonable and would not cause the employer undue hardship.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATION REQUIREMENT: Offers of employment will be conditioned on the results of a complete physical examination, which includes a drug screening. For certain job categories, applicants may be referred to an HHSC-designated physician, rather than the applicant’s personal physician of choice. The cost for all physical examinations, except the cost for the drug screening, shall be borne by the applicant and not the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation. The Hawaii Health Systems Corporation shall bear the cost of the drug screening.
CRIMINAL/BACKGROUND, CREDENTIALING CHECKS: Applicable checks will be conducted periodically and any associated costs may be borne by the applicant. If a job offer is made or employment is begun prior to completion of all applicable checks, any offer of employment or continued employment is contingent upon satisfactory return of all required checks.
STEPS TO AN ADMINISTRATIVE REVIEW, SUBSEQUENT APPEALS: If you do not agree with a decision made by the Employment Office as to your non-qualification or non-selection for a position, you may complete a Request for Administrative Review form (available on the HHSC website) or you may submit a written request within twenty (20) days from the date of your sent notice to the Regional Chief Executive Officer/Designee. Your letter requesting the Administrative Review must include 1. The job title(s) and recruitment number(s), 2. the specific reason(s) you are requesting the review noting if there is a statute or rule violation, and 3. any additional information you want to submit to substantiate your request. If you do not submit your request within the twenty (20) days deadline, no Administrative Review will be conducted. Since the Administrative Review is a prerequisite to subsequent steps, failure to utilize this process will make you ineligible for subsequent appeals. The administrative review, formal complaint and/or appeals hearing will not necessarily postpone the recruitment process and/or rescind a selection. If you do not agree with the Administrative Review, you may file a Formal Complaint and then, if you are still not satisfied, you can appeal to the HHSC Merit Appeals Board.
The Corporate office of the Hawaii Health Systems Corporation is located at Leahi Hospital, 3675 Kilauea Avenue Honolulu, HI 96816.
For additional information, call (808) 733-4162 or Toll-free (800) 845-6733 (TTD/TTY) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES MAY CONTACT THE RECRUITMENT OFFICER AT (808) 733-4162 (TTD/TTY), OR Toll-free (800) 845-6733, OR EMAIL email@example.com TO DISCUSS SPECIAL NEEDS IN APPLYING.