As part of our on-going progress effort to Stage 4: Integrated Testing , several important adjustments have been made. First, the clinical project team recently transitioned their work effort from the Test system to the newly delivered Production system.
Due to some unexpected stability issues in the new Production system impacting overall readiness, the Emergency Department roadshows for Kahuku Medical Center, Kona Community Hospital, Kohala Hospital, Kauai Veterans Memorial Hospital and Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital have been canceled, and will be rescheduled for September or early October. The Siemens team is working aggressively to resolve the stability issues.
The ED Roadshows for Lanai Community Hospital (August 13), Maui Memorial Medical Center (August 14) and Kula Hospital (August 14) remain on the schedule as planned, pending resolution of the systems stability issues. You can expect to see rescheduling announcements in the upcoming week or two.
Secondly, based on the results of a project assessment of all HHSC facilities conducted by Siemens and HHSC management, the HHSC Board of Directors on July 19, approved a $17 million adjustment to a recast EMerGE budget that covers several important project components that were not included in the original preliminary budget, including additional costs (over the course of a five-year period) related to the following:
- Wide-area network build out (additional infrastructure) including data communication links between HHSC facilities and the corporate data center located on Oahu;
- The need to upgrade facilities to conform with data center standards such as fire and safety and having appropriate servers available;
- Cabling for wireless access;
- Specific interfaces and related equipment for monitors and other medical equipment;
- Additional staffing needs: 4 nursing positions, chief medical information officer, and pharmacist.
The additional funds are necessary to keep the project moving forward and enable HHSC to meet its “meaningful use” deadlines. HHSC is looking at covering these additional costs through a combination of operating funds and municipal leasing financing.
Your continued support and participation is very much appreciated.
HHSC EMeRGE Interim Project Manager